Women are more likely to experience certain health issues due to swings in hormone levels occurring every month. Further, many young women might experience low hormone levels. And then, all women would experience menopause ultimately. All these hormonal changes happening throughout life make females prone to mood swings, headaches, body aches, disturbed sleep, and other chronic health issues.
Doctors would often treat such issues with painkillers, antidepressants, and hormone replacement therapy. Not only do these pharmacological treatments often fail to help well, they cause many side effects. Fortunately, most issues related to hormone changes can be managed using natural remedies like black cohosh. Moreover, this herb is not just for hormonal health but has various other benefits.
Black Cohosh is an herb native to North America. Native Americans have traditionally used this herb to manage a range of health conditions. Here, it is worth noticing that natural remedies contain the root extract of the herb. There have been many clinical studies regarding its health benefits in recent years, with sufficient evidence that it works.
Researchers have identified many unique compounds in the herb, like cyclooctane terpenes, alkaloids, and phenolic acids. New studies show that many of its health effects are due to its content of unique compounds like cimicifugic acid and other cinnamic acid esters.
The Benefits of Black Cohosh
This herb is rich in many bioactive compounds, and thus, it has many health benefits.
- Women’s Health: Black cohosh is primarily used in hormonal balance supplements but is not a phytoestrogen. Studies suggest that it helps boost activity levels of naturally occurring hormones in the body. This explains why this herb has such an excellent safety profile. Moreover, numerous terpenes and phenolic compounds in the herb means that it is a potent antioxidant and is among anti-inflammatory herbs. Hence, it has wide-ranging benefits for female health. Of course, one does not have to be essentially living with some disease to enjoy its health benefits. Women can also use it as a preventive measure. Thus, Zenkgo essential multivitamin for 50+, which contains black cohosh with vitamins may be suitable for women’s health.
- Hormonal Balance: One of the most significant reasons people prefer natural remedies is their excellent safety. Although black cohosh is good for hormonal health, it is a hormonal balance supplement. It means that it only increases female hormones to specific levels, which is just enough for optimal health. It would never increase hormones too much. Moreover, it can also influence other hormones and normalize their levels, reduce inflammation, and normalize various body functions.
- Menopause Symptoms Relief: Black cohosh has been extensively tested for menopause symptom relief. It is so good for overcoming menopausal symptoms like hot flashes and mood swings that it is even approved as a medical treatment in some European nations. Black cohosh is also good for managing various other health issues related to menopause. It can help prevent osteoporosis and even reduce the risk of certain types of cancers.
- Sleep Aid: Black cohosh can be really good for improving sleep quality in postmenopausal women. However, it is worth understanding that it is not a sedative. Most of its benefits are due to its impact on hormonal health, which helps stabilize mood and enhance feeling of well-being.
- Mental health: Black cohost is not a remedy for severe mental health issues. However, it can be good for enhancing mental health, as it can help reduce anxiety and depression. It is especially good for countering mood issues in postmenopausal women. Hence, Zenkgo essential multivitamin for 50+, which contains both vitamins and black cohosh, can be quite helpful.
How to Use Black Cohosh
Instead of choosing raw root extract, it is better to go for health supplements that contain it in smaller amounts. Supplements like Zenkgo essential multivitamin for 50+ have many health benefits and are good for prolonged use. Studies confirm that black cohosh is safe when used responsibly and in small dosages. It only causes side effects when consumed in a very large dosage.
Black cohosh is a traditional remedy that Native Americans have used to manage a range of health conditions. Modern studies show that it is especially good for menopausal symptoms and as a hormonal balance supplement. However, it would be unwise to view it as only a supplement for female hormonal health. Modern studies show that it is also an excellent source of antioxidants and can exert anti-inflammatory properties. Further, using black cohosh at a lower dosage along with vitamins may be good for lowering the risk of various chronic health issues.
 Black Cohosh [Internet]. NCCIH. [cited 2023 Dec 20]. Available from: https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/black-cohosh.
 Qiu F, McAlpine JB, Krause EC, et al. Pharmacognosy of Black Cohosh: The Phytochemical and Biological Profile of a Major Botanical Dietary Supplement. In: Kinghorn AD, Falk H, Kobayashi J, editors. Progress in the Chemistry of Organic Natural Products 99 [Internet]. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2014 [cited 2023 Dec 20]. p. 1–68. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-04900-7_1.
 Mohapatra S, Iqubal A, Ansari MJ, et al. Benefits of Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) for Women Health: An Up-Close and In-Depth Review. Pharmaceuticals. 2022;15:278.
 Jiang K, Jin Y, Huang L, et al. Black cohosh improves objective sleep in postmenopausal women with sleep disturbance. Climacteric. 2015;18:559–567.
 Geller SE, Studee L. Botanical and dietary supplements for mood and anxiety in menopausal women. Menopause. 2007;14:541–549.