Ginkgo biloba is a massive tree, and its leaves and seeds are used to produce ginkgo biloba extract or supplements.
This tree is legendary and unique in so many ways. It is a tree associated with longevity since it can live for thousands of years! That is why researchers believe it must contain certain bioactive compounds associated with longevity and brain health, which may help slow down aging.
This tree is also called a “living fossil” since it is among the oldest tree species that is still growing. The tree is believed to have remained unchanged for the last 200 million years. So, it saw the supremacy of dinosaurs on Earth.
This tree can grow in very distinct environments. Even more interesting is that there is a female and male ginkgo biloba tree.
Due to so many unique properties, it is revered. A tree that has become a symbol of longevity, endurance, hope, and health.
In traditional medicine, it has been used to manage brain disorders and slow down aging. However, now science has explored many other health benefits of this extract, such as it being good for vascular health.
Science has not identified many beneficial bioactive compounds in the plant, including various flavonoids and terpenoids. Standardized ginkgo biloba contains about 6% terpenoids, 5%–24% flavonoid glycosides, and 10% organic acids. It is an excellent source of quercetin, bilobalides, kaempferols, and ginkgolides.
Although ginkgo biloba is good for various age groups, it is especially beneficial for middle-aged and older adults. It may help slow down aging in multiple ways:
- Contains Powerful Antioxidants: Modern science has understood that the accumulation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) is among the leading causes of aging and chronic health issues. ROS is a by-product of metabolic activity. The body has its own mechanism to counter ROS, but its potential to do so decreases with aging. Thus, modern studies show that an increased intake of antioxidants may help prevent chronic health diseases, lower inflammation, and slow down aging.
Ginkgo biloba is an antioxidant powerhouse and thus helps boost immunity, prevent infections, lowers inflammation, and has anti-aging and neuroprotective effects. Some antioxidants in its extract are quercetin, kaempferol, rutin, and many more. Further, terpenoids like bilobalide and ginkgolides are also potent antioxidants.
- Improves Sleep Quality: It is no secret that sleep disturbances become more common with aging, thus contributing to aging. Sleep quality improvement must be part of any anti-aging program. However, using sleep pills is not an option as they are toxic and they cause sedation. Though sleeping pills might help sleep, such sleep is not refreshing due to an altered sleep architecture. Studies show that ginkgo biloba can improve sleep quality over time.
- Helps Reduce Inflammation: Poorly controlled and chronic inflammation is harmful to health. Such a low-grade inflammation causes heart disease, brain disorders, and other chronic ailments. However, anti-inflammatory drugs cannot help overcome this low-grade chronic inflammation. Studies show that regular intake of ginkgo biloba may help modulate immunity and overcome chronic inflammation.
- Reduces Anxiety and Depression: Ginkgo biloba is especially good for brain health. It can boost cognition and help stabilize mood. Women above the age of 50 are especially at risk of developing mood disorders. Studies show that ginkgo biloba is an excellent women’s health supplement and is good for anxiety and depression reduction.
- Improves Eye Health: Visual acuity decreases with aging for many reasons. The two primary causes of falling eye health with aging are glaucoma or increasing intra-ocular pressure and age-related macular degeneration. Studies show that phytocompounds in ginkgo biloba extract can help counter these issues. It is especially good for managing glaucoma and reducing intra-ocular pressure.
- Supports Heart Health: Ginkgo biloba is exceptionally good for cardiovascular health. It means it is good for preventing vascular issues and heart disease. Thus, regular intake of its extract may help reduce the risk of issues like heart attack and stroke. It may also help minimize the risk of peripheral vascular diseases.
The Bottom Line
Of course, there is no way to stop aging. However, one can slow aging and take steps to age gracefully. People with healthy lifestyle choices are more likely to have a pain-free life. One of the ways to slow down aging could be Zenkgo Multivitamin for women 50+ supplement. This incredible supplement contains high-potency ginkgo biloba leaf extract. However, it also contains many other beneficial ingredients like CoQ10, turmeric, Black Cohosh, probiotics, vitamins A, D, E, and B, and minerals like calcium and zinc. Thus, it is a complete anti-aging solution and an excellent way to prevent nutritional deficiencies associated with an advancing age.
 Noor-E-Tabassum, Das R, Lami MS, et al. Ginkgo biloba: A Treasure of Functional Phytochemicals with Multimedicinal Applications. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2022;2022:8288818.
 Willcox JK, Ash SL, Catignani GL. Antioxidants and prevention of chronic disease. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2004;44:275–295.
 Murray BJ, Cowen PJ, Sharpley AL. The effect of Li 1370, extract of Ginkgo biloba, on REM sleep in humans. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2001;34:155–157.
 Kotakadi VS, Jin Y, Hofseth AB, et al. Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 has anti-inflammatory properties and ameliorates colitis in mice by driving effector T cell apoptosis. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:1799–1806.
 Labkovich M, Jacobs EB, Bhargava S, et al. Ginkgo Biloba Extract in Ophthalmic and Systemic Disease, With a Focus on Normal-Tension Glaucoma. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2020;9:215–225.