Women are hormonally quite different from men, as during their childbearing age, they constantly experience monthly swings in hormone levels. These swings in hormonal levels cause certain issues, putting women at a greater risk of emotional disorders.
However, middle age brings even more significant hormonal issues due to menopause. Most women would experience it between the ages of 45 and 55. This results in a substantial decline in estrogen and progesterone levels, the two most important female sex hormones.
This decline in female sex hormones causes mood swings, sleep issues, and a decline in bone and cardiovascular health.
Of course, this also results in reduced testosterone production and, thus, libido. Women also experience a decline in adrenal hormones after their 50s.
Fortunately, most women adapt to these hormonal changes. Nonetheless, all women would need some lifestyle, dietary, and nutritional changes to avoid the adverse health effects of these relatively abrupt hormonal changes.
Below are a few health tips to help you navigate those difficult times. Following these lifestyle tips, one can minimize the impact of hormonal changes that occur in the postmenopausal phase, ensuring a healthier life in women over 50.
- Stay Active: With aging and hormonal decline, bones and muscles weaken, and emotional issues become more common. Nothing is as effective in countering these issues in mature women as exercise and various physical activities. This helps boost hormone production and blood flow and strengthens bones and muscles.
Of course, exercising after 50 is a bit challenging due to slow recovery and post-exercise fatigue. Nonetheless, some exercises for women over 50 are less exhausting, like walking, swimming, yoga, and mild strength training. To prevent exercise fatigue, just develop various fitness routines.
- Prioritize a Balanced and Nutrient-rich Diet: With aging and hormonal changes, the requirement for certain nutrients, especially micronutrients and antioxidants, increases. This occurs not only due to a decline in hormone levels but also changes in metabolism, a decline in gastrointestinal health, and more.
However, higher nutritional requirements are challenging to meet. Therefore, one of the good ways to meet this higher need for micronutrients is to include Zenkgo multivitamins for women 50+ in their daily regime. Zenkgo multivitamins are much more than multivitamins as they contain probiotics, vital minerals like calcium and magnesium, and multiple phytocompounds like ginkgo biloba extract, Black cohosh, and many more.
- Focus on Mental Well-Being: These days, everyone is talking about holistic health. This is because researchers realize the essentiality of taking care of mental well-being. The absence of disease is one thing, but feeling well is another. Hence, focus on managing stress by practicing yoga and mindfulness. One may also benefit through certain spiritual practices. Women above the age of 50 must especially focus on managing anxiety and mood swings.
- Regular Health Check-ups and Screenings: For women above the age of 50, regular health check-ups are crucial to monitor and maintain overall well-being. Screening for breast cancer through mammograms remains a cornerstone of women's health, with recommended screenings typically starting at age 50 and continuing at regular intervals. Regular Pap smears to detect cervical abnormalities are essential, although guidelines may vary based on individual health history.
Bone density scans for osteoporosis assessment are recommended to evaluate the risk of fractures, given the hormonal changes associated with menopause. Regular blood pressure checks, cholesterol screenings, and cardiovascular health assessments are vital to preventing cardiovascular diseases. Some other tests to consider are colorectal cancer screening and eye examination.
- Maintain Strong Social Connections: People have become increasingly socially isolated in modern times. Increased use of gadgets has only made things worse. However, humans are social animals, and they need strong social connections for mental and brain health. Strong social connections also translate into better physical health.
Therefore, psychologists recommend having a plant to improve social connections. For example, visiting some relatives every month or quarterly. Or having a plan to see friends every weekend.
The Bottom Line
Aging is unstoppable. However, all people age differently. Some stay relatively healthy and continue to enjoy life, while others experience multiple health issues, including mental health problems. Although few things might depend on genetics, more depends on lifestyle choices. It is vital to understand that many families are healthier not because of genetics but due to certain healthy choices and practices.
Women can expect to live longer than men. However, they must take some steps to improve their quality of life and stay disease-free. These steps include boosting metabolism, weight loss, exercise, taking care of mental well-being, and optimal nutrition. It is also a good idea to supplement the diet with some food supplements like Zenkgo multivitamins for women 50+, specially created for the age group.
 Mendoza N, De Teresa C, Cano A, et al. Benefits of physical exercise in postmenopausal women. Maturitas. 2016;93:83–88.
 Health screenings for women ages 40 to 64: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia [Internet]. [cited 2024 Jan 3]. Available from: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007467.htm.